Thursday, July 31, 2008

Legacy

Legacies...
We all love the idea of a legacy, something that gets passed down from generation to generation. It could be a family name. Or a 'tradition' we start, or an attribute, like being faithful...Legacies are wonderful and can be a source of strength and comfort. After all, it is through legacies of others faith that we have the restored gospel today. Powerful thing, a legacy is.
So, many of you know, I am, for all intents and purposes, self-educating myself, with regard to nutrition/health. My husband, is being educated (at a high cost$$$) on disease and cures(where applicable). So after I learn something, I pass it on his way. After all, he is NOT being taught how to keep people in health or educate others on nutrition. If anything, almost all I pass on to him goes directly against (en contra) to what he has been taught. We have accepted this and continue to self-educate ourselves, even if it pits us against common thinking.
I have always been known as a little 'out there' (okay, so maybe alot out there)...Jacob knows this (gosh, by now he should!)
We chat alot about health when we are together because of all the sickness (physical/mental, etc) he sees daily. We both want to help others restore health. We cannot go out in public without being surrounded by chronic health problems that we as a country have just learned to live with and accept. IT makes us sad (and mad sometimes) Why is this?
We are a nation that has been given/accepted a false legacy.
We have been told that bodies are for pleasure, instead of the truth, which is that our bodies are a temple, the home of our spirit. our bodies are created in the image of our Father (we look like him!!!). We have been told that we can do unto our body and it will not affect our spirit. I disagree. Our spirit can only grow, in so much as our physical bodies allow growth. For instance, if we are so unwell that we take numerous meds that either knock us out all day, or make us drowsy all day, then how can we possibly grow spiritually. Or even still, if we are so deprived that we have no food/drink for long periods of time, then how can we even grow spiritually when we are barley alive? There is an inseparable connection between our spirits/bodies. Both are alive!
We have been asked by the designer of our bodies to care for them and He purposely invented a body for us that we would need to constantly feed/nourish, in order for life to continue here on earth. Why give us such a responsibility with something so precious? How can we be expected to care for millions of others in eternity if we are unable to care for our body, the house of our own spirt?
This is where legacies come in.
Here is an excerpt from the Word of Wisdom,
"Given for a principle with a promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints...behold...thus saith the Lord unto YOU (all of us); In consequence of evils and designs which DO and WILL exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forwarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation..."

Our bodies have been ravished by faulty traditions/legacies...
We learn how/what/when.etcc...to eat at home and how we learn tends to be what we pass on. So we like to think that diabetes just runs in our blood, rather, we should think about how recipes/life styles get repeated all over again (hence the same result of diabetes)...What are we passing unto our children?
Jacob and I are consumed with this. Do our children know what 'real' food is? Can they escape the well funded propaganda that tells them they 'deserve' some item of industrial food made by those who only care about profit (conspiring men/women). We were given a revelation to keep us on guard. Have we let our guard down and given into comfort? People who make food (industrial food as I call it), either make food that mimics 'real 'food(like margarine instead of butter), or make food that is totally fake ('Twinkies' anyone?) but that is palatable, hence, our body will betray us and say, 'YES! I want that twinkie (insert another food item). This pits our bodies against our spirits in a way that is so darn convientat for the adversary, not to mention profitable for those in the food industry.
As members of the church we tend to see the obvious things that we need to to mindful of, like entertainment, or media, or clothing, etc...we overlook how food drags us down, and can, eternally.
I am not a believer in the idea that our loving Father in heaven gives us, on purpose, health problems (disease's, chronic, like diabetes, cancer, etc, or one timers, like the flu) in order to try us. I believe that it is a result of living on a planet that is alive (with loads of living bacteria/viruses, etc) as well as a result of others choices (like smoking around us, or toxic spills, or selling products that are harmful for our living cells), and then as a result of our choices. Unfortunately, many of us make choices based on what we were taught, sometimes, this is a good thing, and sometimes, as we can see, based on our countries current health status, it is a bad thing.
We (jacob/I) want our children to know about growing/storing/preparing all their food needs. Once you realize that you are growing something that is alive then it becomes easier to know which food to choose to eat. How far removed is the food item from being alive? When we are encouraged to eat whole grains, it does not count when one eats a cracker that has a 'whole grain' stamp on the box. It is no longer a useful, alive, whole grain for your body to use. It is not longer real.
But I do have a few crackers in my house right now. Why.???...legacies...that is why....bad traditions of my growing up, habits my stomach is used to. We are always kicking something out of our 'tradition' habit and starting new ones...We kinda know where we are headed:
a 90/10 diet (where we eat what we know we should 90% of the time (which means everything within the walls of our home/car, is right on) and 10% for when we have no choice but to eat what is before us (other homes, or time of scarcity, or for when we have the occasional treat, for which we have no emotional guilt about). Our diet will flow with the seasons, so that we eat the freshest things, the things most alive at that time. This helps our bodies in many ways. We eat things in their most natural state, cooking lightly (steaming, or lightly sauteing when in need of cooking at all, raw is wonderful, esp in the summer) We use herbs to flavor instead of salt/pepper, which offer no nutrition to our diet (unless using alittle unrefined sea salt, which is nutritional). Drinking loads of water, so that we never mistake a sign of thirst, for that of hunger. We just have loads of nutritional things we are working on here at the homestead, but mostly, we are trying to change some legacies passed down to us. We are engaged in the same kind of work that is required of one when you are changing an attribute of your character (like if you are attempting to become a patient person, or one who bridles his/her body with regard to the opposite sex).
Hard work, changing legacies/traditions....much easier to learn the right way first...

2 comments:

sophiesquid said...

I like how you relate legacy to food! I feel similar things. I struggle with finding wholesome food and meals. It has been particularly hard with a spouse who is so set in his ways. You know the white bread and lots of sugar :-). It seems I can look in a recipe book and maybe come out with one meal idea because everything else calls for things I don't agree with using. I have a long way to go to find those wholesome meals for my family but I am slowly getting there. I like being in the East because growing a garden is a little bit easier than in the desert where I grew up. Anyway...thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

I truly admire your determination and faith.

So...play dates at McDonald's are a no-go? :)