A few pics from my #1's 5th birthday party.........We had a great Storybook party where everyone brought a fav book and dressed up as a character in it, we got to read lots of books, play games,and make our own books. She loved her party and just loves any excuse to have as many friends over as possible....
now unto Math.....
I didn't particularly like math in Highschool and was soooooooo happy in college that I didn't have to ever take it again. I could have worn a shirt that said, "who needs algebra anyways????"...at any rate I thought I was done with it, other then when I use it for all the math one does day to day but that is besides the point....
The thought occurred to me that I think I am currently majoring in math.....why is this? Well I use alot of Algebra every day and I just realized it. Oh, I did not like Algebra...n= x=5 stuff....i despised having to divide x/n and somehow get another letter. "I don't know, is the answer P"?....I mean, it drove me nuts mixing letters and numbers.....and Word problems......they just about killed my little teenage brain.
My algebra teacher loved word problems, so now I had to take words and decide which sentence needed a number to stand for it and which sentences needed to be represented by letters..ughhhhhhhh..(wow, just writing about that class makes me irritated all over my skin, didn't realize it still is like that for me, anywho...)
So this morning, after being awake most of the night and yet having to be 'awake' for the sake of the children's livelihood (and maybe the houses survival as well) I stumbled out of Matties bed carrying Jane (no, mattie was not in her bed (I mean, why would she be there anyway....??? She was in MY bed with Jacob of course...of course, anyway, we basically played musical beds last night, expect instead of switching beds when the music was played again we would all get up as zombies and move beds when crying happened (that counts as music, right?)----
anyway, I said to myself,
Sleep=Happy MaMa
Hey, I just did some Math with words, how about that......and I started to think of other math problems I have learned over these last few years as a mom and came to the realization that lo and behold I am majoring in Math........When i get done I will definitely have my Doctorate.....and to think, all it is costing me is my sanity, and a few gray hairs :)
Here are some more math problems, enjoy, and feel free to comment any of the math you have learned as well...
* x Toy=0 desirability, unless....Y wants toy, then Z will desire it Equally, so Y=x=Z, (ALWAYS)
* The dirtiest clothes or poopiest diapers ONLY happen within an hour of finishing all laundry and the next laundry day is now 3 days away
* Mama on phone= whiny, sad, fighting, need to nurse children (ALWAYS)
*Hard days ALWAYS end on a hard note (like jacob calling and informing me that he will be even later than normal, and 'normal' is already a 14hr day (can i just say it has been a hard day, if you havent picked up on it already.....and there is no relief in sight, atleast not for a few more weeks till he switches to a different schedule, sometimes I have to remind myself that other peoples spouses come home atleast by dinner time and definently on weekends. That those daddies are around to help with bedtime and even sometimes with wakeup routines.....i have to take mine to the hospital if i want my children to lay eyes on him once in a 6 day period......i know, i know, we chose this job.....but sometimes.....it is just sooooo hard....so hard you really cant describe it to another unless they have or are going through it. Don't get me wrong, we both are happy with his chosen profession, he finds so much joy in helping others in a time of need and i love that he loves to serve that way and found a way to meet our needs financially doing it. As of now my children dont realize that other peoples daddies have a different work schedule than theirs and that those daddies are home more. I guess all I have to say is, It is HARD being in the FIRE...........
* Planned dates with spouse= no success and the converse is true, spontaneous dates with spouse= success (if on calendar and babysitter is all set, something will happen, always.....)
* The sweetest moments always come on the hardest days around these parts (like today, watching my girls get down to some of my fav music, or having my 5yr old ask how she will know which prince to marry when the time comes and if she will be like Aurora in Heaven,
* The times when I cant do all for myself or my family or my house and feel like never ever able to complete a task = the times when I think of the Savior the most.....
and one more random thought....
I had a good friend recently tell me I stink at order in my house (for things) and it is so true.....not because im not screaming inside for it......i want it like crazy, but after playing with my children, doing school work, cleaning with them, reading with them, running errands, and cooking from scratch all our meals and snacks, there is no time left....none.....not unless i give up sleep and I am not getting much of that right now anyways....so not much to give up there. I think the thing that frustrates me most is everything just needs a home....if something has a home (and the home is easy to get to and accessible for me and the children) then it will get put in its home, but if we have to walk upstairs, take out a few totes, etc.......to get it home.....it will just hit the nearest flat surface.....so, in honor of this lovely trait and because we are moving into our new house (we close next week:) please leave in the comment section any great idea you have or tools or gadgets you use for organizing and setting up an orderly house for yourself and kids......that will be much appreciated....
7 comments:
Ok, first I thought, 'Oh! I want to come organize your house!!' and then I got excited to leave an idea... so I will think of something :)
How is it we can talk almost everyday and still have things to share?
X+Y=Z when x is kids, y is toys / crayons / clothes / books / etc
And z = no organization
Sorry, Heather, that's the best math I've got... I've tried it all... and until the kiddos get old enough to care, well, organization and cleanliness is naturally limited - and far between! We're grateful to get everything in it's "home" once a week (only to see it totally gone the very next day for the rest of the next week)!
This is what my mother said to me once (when I asked how she did it all) "Tara, you spend a lot more time with your children then I did. You get down and play with them and are with them one on one. Though I read to you kids, I got things done by putting a gate between you kids and me. But I think your kids are better for what you do."
Heather - though some of that may not be for you (the part about my mother putting up a gate) - the rest is. You spend time with your kids. You stop your day to do things with them - to teach them in the moment (even if you're going insane for it). Your house may not be organized and perfectly clean all the time, but I know that you involve your girls when you do get to those tasks. They are learning about life, and building relationships that matter.
As someone else said "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff.... and it's all small stuff" - except for spending time with your girls. You're doing just fine. The sanity will come - just not while they're young. The hardest part will be learning to let yourself be okay without perfection at this stage in your life.
We love you! You are an amazing mother - even if being strong and amazing means you find yourself crying and bitter at times because inside you're also a normal, wonderful woman! I've been there. And it's okay - not always fun, but okay. You are doing what matters - at the end of the day, stop and think what the Savior would say to you based on what you did that day. When I started doing that, I realized that my house didn't always have to be clean and toys could still be all over the house (just think of the free thief trap), but as long as I spent time with my kids and made the best of that day, I could actually feel his arms wrap me up and him smiling at me.
one of the things we do in the preschool (and yet to do at home) is have containers for organization and a picture of what toys are supposed to be in the container. Works well for them cleaning up themselves and is one of the things they are supposed to be able to do (organize, separate).
Your math is just fine and so true. The kids need you more than the house needs you, and sleep is definitely a priority! When you get into your new home, you'll figure out what will work best for you. The desire to be organized is the key and you have that. You just have to convince your children to play along.
First thought that popped into my head: Get rid of some stuff and get containers for everything else.
Oh, and another thought is that our standards by way of clean houses sometimes have to be compromised in order to remain sane.
This I type while surrounded by toys (and I've given away nearly a dozen trash bags worth...which had been given to us. I don't buy all this stuff! Aack!)
With Micah gone, having our house as clean as I'd like (IMMACULATE BABY!) is just not possible with the kids. Then again, is it really possible with two Littles and a bigger Little while also being a good Mommy?
I love your birthday party idea. I bet everyone had a ton of fun! Can you believe our girls are 5! How time flies!! I need your address so that I can send some valentines...We miss you guys!
on organizing...Have you ever seen the show Neat? It is an awesome show because she works with the person to help sort and organize. I like her style. When she goes into a room she first sorts by category (crafts, office supplies, toys, etc) then in each category she sorts Past Present Future. Anything in the past gets donated. Present is something you are using now and Future is something you are going to use in the next 3-6 mths. Outside of that you shouldn't have anyways. Then she puts the categories all in one spot (all office supplies in one spot) and labeled. check it out. It is a fun show. http://www.neattv.com/
My toy bins I took pictures, printed them out and taped them to the front of the bins. I also do chores on certain days (wash Fridays, dust Mondays, vacuum Wed and Sat, etc). This helps cut down my stress and work of trying to get the house clean in one day then see it turned into a fort the next minute. We also pick up at the end of the day (as part of our bedtime routine) so I (we all) wake up to a pickuped house.
You don't have to spend a lot on bins/organizing. IKEA has those $2 bins that I have a ton of. It may not look at pretty as those done on Neat show but it works.
Moving is a great time to put all the like stuff together and have a place for everything as you put it away from unpacking.
I agree with the other comments. You do a great job in playing and teaching your kids. They are happy and we love being around you guys! Good Luck with moving!! (and your organizing!)
Post a Comment