Monday, September 15, 2008

wisdom passed down and up again


Well tonight we had a most interesting FHE (family home evening). It all came to my mind last minute (usually does).
We started with our 4 songs (our girls love the music part), then I told liliana that daddy and I had a few problems we needed her help with. She said, "sure, she could help us" (oh, wise child you...)...
So I asked her to sit on the couch and daddy and I would show her our problems...I decided last minute that jacob/and I would improve some typical scenes in our house that WE get tired of dealing with (in terms of sibling fights). Thanks to jacobs theater career in highschool, he was ready and willing (did you guys know that he was a theater nerd????)
Anyway, I quickly tell jacob the scene, he doesnt need to much info, as he knows how to impersonate liliana or mattie.
Scene 1:
mom is playing quietly with a toy and having fun
jacob comes over and starts trying to take the toy
mom starts yelling and pushing jacob
jacob starts crying (no, he did not shed real tears, but got the whining right)
We both look to liliana and say, "what can we do, we have a problem?"
Liliana comes over and says,
"(in a soft, almost condescending voice (im sure I dont sound like that normally...)), "well, you can take turns"
Jacob: but I want to play with it now, she has already had a turn...
Liliana: "I know, I know", But maybe you can just be patient."
Jacob: But I want to take a turn first, then I will let mommy have a turn
Liliana: I know it is hard to wait but just be patient and then it will be your turn...

So, we acted out several scenes, like one of my favorites (to act out, not to deal with on a day to day basis) was when I was sitting on the floor playing with rocks and jacob (pretending to be mattie) came over and grabbed one and put it in his mouth. I frantically (acting like liliana) started grabbing for it and trying to dig my fingers into his mouth, knocking him over in the meantime, now he is crying and i am yelling.
Thank goodness, liliana was there to help with all of our problems. Jacob and I were having such a rough time of it. But she just knew all the solutions to everything. Infact every word of every solution sounded awfully familiar...I wonder if she had heard those words before????

anyway, she had a blast. and without an obvious lecture we got a few messages across...
This pic if from last night..she begged to be put in a sling (I carry mattie around all the time in a different one and upon seeing this huge sling she knew it must fit her, jacob threw her in and she grinned the whole time)

1 comment:

Zarah said...

Sounds like a very profitable FHE. I hope it works out.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that all the time we spent talking about slings paid off. A few days after we got home, I helped my sister-in-law out with hers. So, thanks!