Friday, April 17, 2009

my day




Well it has been a beautiful day here in Southern Maine. The best so far of the year. I am sitting at the computer at the end of a long day, tired, and feeling like my abdomen and bladder are being beat up on (hmmm..maybe because THEY ARE!!!!!)..seriously, even on the third child it is still so weird to feel yourself being kicked from the inside out. Nice, but weird.
We went to the park today with other homeschoolers to chat and play. I didn't get to do a whole lot of chatting because my little miss Mattie thinks she is a big girl now (and I have to admit in many ways she is), so that means she climbs her way high up the slides and just flings herself down and is like a dog when approaching a road, keeps her head down and just walks on out.
After dinner (which was preceded by wailing and gnashing of teeth due to hunger pains (seriously I am going to hook my kids up to an IV) I informed the children (pigs) that we lived in a mess (stye). I gave liliana the choice of choosing what she wanted to clean up to having me choose (she will really only clean up if it somehow resembles a game and for some reason she turned me telling her little items to clean up into a game, like she was trying to get them done as soon as possible, before I completed my task). Anyway before all of this started I was trying to finish my dinner and I overheard Liliana say the following to Mattie about our upcoming chores:

liliana: Mattie, chores is not playing, it is doing work for mommy and daddy"

I had to smile at that one. Although the reason liliana even brought it up to mattie was because mattie was in too good of a mood for someone who was being asked to do chores. So this was lilianas way of letting her sister know there was nothing to be excited about.

You know, I never knew when I grew up that I would have a job like the one I have. Take today for instance. Jacob left for work early and is at the Temple now, so he wont be home till late tonight. I cant remember how many spills we had just during breakfast (this seems to be a daily occurrence and it drives me mad!). In an attempt to clean up this morning our home became dirtier. I seem to recall trying to put laundry away and having a little toddler throw it all out of the draw as I was putting it in (all while trying to chat on the phone, explaining cloth diapering to a friend). So I gave up on that laundry basket and moved unto trying to put the cloth diapers away, but apparently the basket they were in was too inviting and just big enough for two girls to climb in, so I lost that one as well (currently, incase your interested, the cloth diapers are laying on the floor in front of the closet and the clothes are on the ground in front of the dresser). Then I believe two girls I know started to fall apart for 'snack' time. You know the way people act when upon deaths doorway, seriously, we have some drama here and we have not even hit puberty yet!
Snack/lunch is one big messy, spilling blur. Then we went out (after much cleaning of faces and hands and clothes (you wouldn't believe how messy kids can get in my house!) for eggs and treats at the health food store, then to the park. Where I proceeded to get my exercise for the week (note to self, no more getting pregnant when you still have a toddler). Upon returning home mattie slept and stayed in the car for a brief nap. I went to go wake her up, brought her inside, sat her on me and she proceeded to fill her diaper with pee and then it overflowed unto me and the couch. But being already 4 years into motherhood, I didn't freak out. I didn't even get up to change, what is the point afterall, I was going to be getting nose gunk wiped all over me for the rest of the day (and people wonder why I don't do my hair :))...anyway, sometime around then the massive falling apart happened for dinner food. Have I ever mentioned that my day seems to revolve around food. I am the pregnant hungry person here but I don't even get a chance to consider that, I am too busy feeding two little girls.
Anywho, that was mostly my day, oh wait, I forgot when I was cleaning up after mattie, who had been playing with her sissy's counting stones, that she had dropped and broken them, so I received several cuts. But that was fun for liliana, it gave her a chance to play doctor and as she has informed us, doctors are smart (not daddies, she clarified that for us as well, just doctors-hmmmmm).

4 comments:

Janis said...

I remember those days...you get through breakfast, turn around twice and it's lunch time, etc all day long. I always thought it would be nice to have someone else prepare those meals for me.

Tara said...

Sounds like a very crazy day - and I certianly feel for you.... I'm at the point where, after a week of the baby screaming none stop (sorry, Friday wasn't so bad) because he's cutting teeth and because, more importantly, he wants to be into everything and can't because he can't seem to get himself to move the right way yet... and well, Peter, being two, and well.. never mind... I'm sure you totally can picture it... take your two multiply them and well.. so here I am, my first "day of vacation" and I'm watching another kid (I must have been crazy) except that this little girl was a gem and sweet... and my kids didn't do too bad either... I'm too exhausted, too deadened to the noise and fighting, that somehow I'm patient again... and no longer caring that my house is trashed and will probably stay that way even though we have company tomorrow... wow, motherhood is more of a challenge - it's a good thing we can pull together and be "a mess" (in every way) together! :)

Just think... when they go to bed, close your eyes and just enjoy the quiet... don't look at anything or you'll loose the enjoyment of it all. ;)

Zarah said...

Ok, I just have to say, I love the pictures of Mattie! She looks adorable in pigtails!! Not quite sure what Liliana is doing in her picture, but it's her and there's just no telling what she'll do or say next. I think you do a great job dealing with the craziness.

Anonymous said...

We have those crazy days. I'm glad to hear about yours! Mattie looks cute in her pig tails!