Thursday, August 27, 2009

our missions





Jacob has this book from his mission that has various talks in it given to his mission president as they started their mission and I was reading a section that I thought could be for me as a parent....

"Without a doubt, during your missions you will be challenged as never before. Certainly this will be a season of sacrifice and toil. The work will require your all; your best efforts will be needed to rise to the occasion. At times, you may feel that the demands of this call are almost overwhelming. Again, I turn to Pres. Hinckley to provide some comforting, sustaining guidance. Though he was speaking to the entire Church at the time, his words have particular meaning to this group today:
This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships- in other words, to become more Christlike.

It is so easy with all my day to day task to forget the purpose of my life here. I am already in the midst of eternity, it is just that one day my location will change. Just the other day the girls were 'fighting' alot with one another and I sent them both to their room, when I went up I told them....'you know our sissies are supposed to be our best friends, they are the ones we will be with from now on' and for the most part they just love one another. Liliana calls Jane, "her best baby' and as Mattie gets older and can do more the two big girls enjoy playing with one another. I love that I have three little girls.

Thinking back to the quote up there, it reminds me of marriage as well. It also can be the thing that challenges us as never before, where we feel overwhelmed. I am thankful for my husband. I love how he loves all over his girls. Just this morning I loved seeing him carry around Jane in his new sling (that he requested we buy for him, so he could also carry her). I also love that he makes a point of showing his girls how much he loves his wife (thats me :))

His hours will start picking up here in a week and we will miss his terribly at times like bedtime and other such times where we are used to having him here but we know it wont be forever, it will just SEEM like it is sometimes....

Here is a pic of jane and I last night after our shower (her first one with me)....

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Mattie is getting so big! I can not believe little Jane! She is such a big 3 week old! You look great. I love your insights.Thanks for being a good friend.

Indeed, I think my struggle is to keep the right perspective amidst daily living. Life doesn't seem to need to be all that difficult. We all know the "right" answers but sometimes I loose perspective.

Thanks for posting the pics. I need to get mine up...

Zarah said...

I miss you guys! I think of you guys every day and hope that everything is going well. Wish I was there to help out.

I love the quotes especially President Hinckley's. As I was reading it, I realized that I tend to do better about staying focused on the big picture when I can maintain an inner peace. Now, if I can only keep that peace...

Janis said...

Nice talk. Thanks for sharing that. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day things of life and forget how important our relationships are. I wish I had a pause button on life. I wish I had had such a nifty sling to use.