Well I sure got some education today. I thought it would be fun to do some sequencing with Liliana. We started off by measuring out some string with a ruler and cutting pieces at different lengths. Than I got out the beads and made a 8-9 bead sequence on a bracelet. I instructed liliana to copy my bracelet and provided her with all the beads she would need. I could tell she was struggling to 'conform'. She wanted to break loose and make her own bracelet. But big mean mommy kept insisting on her being able to copy my pattern. So finally we finished that.
Than I took a popsicle stick and using the same beads glued them in a pattern on the stick. You should see a pic of mine to the right. I then instructed Liliana to copy me once again. I gave her the beads and the glue and tried to 'help' by asking, "which one will go first"? She answered correctly and I thought to myself. "Alright, she is finally getting this pattern copying thing". Well I run upstairs and then come down to a very excited liliana. She is done and wants me to look. What I see is a popsicle stick that looks very different than mine. I say, "Liliana, that is not like mommies, you were supposed to copy my pattern". She says, "yes, mommy it is like yours". I say (a little frustrated), "No, it is not like mine (at this point I line ours up to help demonstrate how they are not the same). You will see the pic to the right. Anyway, I say, "See, the first bead is purple and that is the same, but then I have a blue charm and you dont, they don't line up".
She says, "Yes, mommy they do line up, see..." (At this point she proceeds to move her popsicle stick so that our charms do infact match up)...I have included a pic.
So at this point. Refusing to say to my 3yr old that she in fact right and I am in fact in the wr...(just cant even type the word), i just say nothing and we move on to the next activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment