Monday, March 10, 2008

Daily Bread

Do I seem uptight?
So I randomly decided to grind some wheat and make bread today. It has been quite awhile. Liliana was excited. I put the wheat in the machine and start thumbing through it to look for small stones (as I don't want stone flour after all). She is helping me. I was thinking how grown-up L has become that she can actually contribute to helping instead of toddler style of 'helping'. Anyway, we grind one load and start in on the next. I place the second load in the machine and start picking for rocks again. I grab the phone and she pulls up on the machine and takes the top ring right off, wheat berries go everywhere. Naturally I show my disapointment but over all I kept control of myself (I think) and we just pick them up and put them back in. We start grinding and then start putting the fresh flour in the container. I skip upstairs to feed and change Mattie and come down to flour everywhere. She had decided to transfer the flour back into the wheat grinder (and the counter and the floor). I give a little talk about wastefulness, a subject we continue to try to explain, as I am vacuuming up all my flour (thank goodness it is kinda cheap). Anyway, on our last batch I decide to keep a closer eye on things (thing meaning her)..we are in the stage of looking for small rocks again and she suddenly reached up to my face and rubs it saying, "just calm down mommy it will be alright" (this happens 3 times.)
I don't know WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT...I'M CALM....I'M CALM...

2 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, Heather! I have yet to "loose" the flour... but it never fails that we'll loose at least one hopper of wheat berries every time we grind wheat... last time I think it was two.... and today.. well let's hope the helpers think they are too weak to get involved! I sure hate walking on those berries, and I can't seem to sweep them fast enough to keep Peter out of them... and though we have a vacuum, we are out of bags (can't remember which style we need... I suppose we could just take out the old one...)

Anonymous said...

Nope..you don't seem uptight. =) I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated/mad on the inside but can't really show it on the outside. I love the story about Liliana and the flour. Classic!