Monday, December 15, 2008

camping



Well, we had a family camping trip this past weekend....
We wouldnt have normally planned one for the winter but, thankfully we were prepared
Due to an Ice storm, our electricity was out for a few days. We brought our Coleman camp stove inside, placed it ontop of our normal stove. We cooked yummy food that we ate by the light of candles and flashlights. We also were very fortunate to have , what used to be considered just a decoration, a wood stove that runs on propane (the kind with the fake wood in it). We turned that sucker on to stay warm and invited many over from the ward so they too could stay warm.
Jacob and I have been feeling for a few months now that we needed to prepare a good 72-hr kit. We have yet to collect everything, but we had collected many things that totally helped us this past weekend. Many in our ward and surrounding towns still do not have power and it appears it will be anther week or so for loads of people. I told jacob that living in the ghetto part of town finally paid off (we live close enough to downtown we are on the top of the list for power restoration)
I still feel like there will be many more upcoming times when we will need to rely on our 72-hr kit and long-term food storage.
There were a few key items we would have been hurting not to have. water goes first at the store (although the beer isle seems just as empty!!!). thankfully we always had running water, because we would not have had enough for 72 hrs worth for cooking, cleaning, and drinking. We also were burning through candles at a faster clip than I realized I would. And note to self...each child wants their OWN flashlight...even if it is a visiting child, over for the sake of getting warm....
also, some children, no longer know what to do if there is nothing 'on' to entertain them....We did not have that problem with liliana, she loves board games and will play as many as you can stand but it would be worthwhile to have 'practice' runs where the family does not have access to electricity, so that all get used to what it is really going to be like.
I am so thankful that this emergency is over for us. I am exhausted from the camping trip.

2 comments:

Zarah said...

It was fun talking to Liliana during that time. She was totally excited to have people over and to have people to play games with. Hopefully, though everyone will have electricity soon.

We really need to work on our food storage. Not sure how long we'd last in an emergency.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you did during the ice storm I heard about. I'm glad that you guys had ways to keep warm and entertained!!